Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Ketchup debate: To chill or not to chill

graham wrote:

>Mum never did! Jams, chutneys, pickles and ketchup were all stored on
>the pantry shelf.

Wasn't all that long ago that all people had was an ice-a-box, that's
all we had, wasn't much room for storage and wasn't wise to open the
door unnessesarily. Growing up we didn't keep many condiments and
certainly not in the humongous sizes available today. There was a
time when restaurants would refill ketchup bottles from bulk
containers, they are no longer permitted because that transfers
disease germs from hands, coughing, and sneezing... packets cost more
but are far more sanitary.

>These days, people are so scared to leave anything out. Even the jar of
>pickled onions I have states: "Refrigerate after opening" - ridiculous!
>http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38907451

Pickled onions are vacuum sealed, once opened they lose their aroma
and at a much quicker rate at room temperature than chilled. Pickled
onions are relatively expensive and not used up quickly, it's wasting
your money not to refrigerate.

I don't use many condiments often so I refrigerate to maintain
quality... a large bottle of ketchup can last me 2-3 years. I
refrigerate mustard because it's flavor changes once opened and when
left at room temperature for months. I use at least three times as
much mustard as ketchup. Also notice how these condiments are in
narrow necked containers, that's to limit exposure to air... once
opened and used the level goes down so more surface area is exposed
causing oxidation to occur more rapidly... that's why they say
"refrigerate after opening". With many of these products the aroma is
as important as flavor, like fruit jams which you'll notice are vacuum
sealed, once opened their aroma dissapates to the air more rapidly at
room temperature. With condiments it's wise to replace lids tightly,
same as one should with booze and perfumes. I've seen where lazy
people even toss condiment lids into the trash, they do the same with
butter, it's left exposed at room temperature, it loses its aroma and
absorbs all sorts of hidious odors, may as well use cheapo margerine.

When I buy condiments in twin packs or large containers I use my
basement fridge for storing the extras, which reminds me I need to
refill my small soy sauce bottle from the quart size of Kikkoman in
the basement fridge... I keep the small bottle in the kitchen fridge,
their web site explains why it should be refrigerated. I know someone
is going to come along and ridicule my use of Kikkoman when there are
others but that's what works for me... I don't care for the lower salt
one either.
I also prefer Del Monte ketchup to Heinz but I'll buy whichever is on
sale... I use more ketchup in marinades than directly on food.