Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Golden Corral

On 5 Feb 2017 22:23:07 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-02-05, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> I didn't know that scallops came that small.....

>In CA, they called those "bay" scallops. The normal sized scallops
>(2oz-4oz) were jes called scallops. Look again. Did the menu say,
>"Bay Scallops"?
>
>The Cook's Thesaurus sez they're more common on the East Coast. I'm
>no expert, but "bay scallops" (yes, about the size of a lima bean) are
>what one typically finds in a specially good Italian Cioppino, along
>with Dungeness crab. Cioppino is a classic San Francisco (read West
>Coast) dish.
>
>I never had any trouble finding "bay scallops" in CA.
>
>nb

the last time I had bay scallops (some years ago) they were much
bigger than what I had. I had them in NYC and also in New Jersey. I
had the sea scallops as well. I purchased them from the fish shop.
They were labeled. I just assumed that what the label said is what I
got. Perhaps time has not been kind to the bay scallops?
Janet US