Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default herbs & spice

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 5:00:08 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> I finally made a run to the nearby health food store yesterday
> where they sell bulk herbs and spices at a good price.
> I was out of a few things and running low on others.
>
> It's only 1/4 mile away so I just walked it for some exercise.
>
> Great prices there and the stuff is very fresh. It's replaced
> constantly. Very low cost too vs the stale grocery store spices.
>
> I got 10 different herbs and spices. Got tons of it and it
> was only $12. Note, their price per pound is about 1/5
> of the grocery store prices, like McCormick, etc.
>
> Anyway, once home, I just set the bag on my kitchen counter.
> Came back into the kitchen a few minutes later and it had
> a very strong smell of fresh dried herbs/spice.
>
> Now to transfer it all from the little plastic bags into
> old spice jars that I have.
>
> Note to Carol: you should check this place out sometime.
> It might be better than ordering spices/herbs.
> It's local, replaced very often, and fresh as can be.
> http://heritagestore.com/

I'm a happy Hawaiian cook. We never learned to cook with very many herbs and spices. If I want to make spaghetti sauce, I'll reach for a big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. If I want to make pizza, I use the big container of Spaghetti Sauce seasoning. I don't know what the heck is in that big container but it tastes Italianish. To make chili, I use cumin and SS seasoning. In that case, it tastes Mexicanish.