Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Using a Induction hot plate as a slow cooker

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), horusprim
> wrote:

> I am thinking on a buying a induction hot plate from Amazon.com
> (http://www.amazon.com/Max-Burton-600...-Induction/dp/
> B000MVN1M6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).
>
> I wanted know if there was any reason I could not use it as a
> makeshift heat in a slow cooker application? In other words, place a
> cast iron dutch oven, with the slow cooking food, on the induction hot
> plate. Next, leave and go to work. Then come back to a hot meal.

That is a good time to break out a decent thermometer and check to see
what temperature it is, then you can calibrate the setting to what the
low setting on a slow cooker should read. I tried using my rice
cooker as a slow cooker and it worked for me. My experiment was
tomatoes (no meat), so I knew I wouldn't make myself sick if it was
too far off.