Dusty

"Wcsjohn" > wrote in message
>>You might want to give it a try. It really works.
>>
>>All the best,
>>
>>--
>>Kenneth

> Fine, I'll put a batch of Sourdough Ciabatta on and, instead of mixing
> fast and
> stretching and folding, I'll just leave it once it's thoroughly mixed.

I'm with Kenneth in this one, John. But you can't just mix 'em and bake
'em. I found out that my critters (SD) did an admirable job of developing
gluten. That was one of the reasons I'd dithered so long on getting a
mixer--I simply didn't need it. But I'd suggest that you at least continue
with the S&F as it would seem to be an integral part of making good
Ciabatta's...

It wasn't until I started making your high-hydration breads (and I've been
grateful for your suggestion ever since...(:-o)!) that a mixer began to be
worth the bother. While I'd like to think I can do it, I just can't see me
beating or kneading Coccodrillo batter for an hour...better to let the mixer
do it.

I don't know where I first found out about the gluten building properties of
SD. Probably read it somewhere as I was learning SD. Being completely
inundated at that time with all of the "noise" in the SD world...I just
don't recall. I did learn, over time, that all I had to do was build a good
sponge (very important!), and then use that by mixing it and kneading it
just a bit.

Now, my yeast breads didn't give me that same benefit. Them factory
pampered little suckers seem to be wimps! Cuz I still have to man-handle
that dough...a lot! But, my SD breads have become so easy and fun to make
that I've not made plain yeast anything in years. I even make SD cinnamon
rolls and croissants that come out every bit as good as with bakers yeast

Later my friend,
Dusty
--
Remove STORE to reply