Posted to rec.food.sourdough
hutchndi hutchndi is offline

Default Sourdough with an automatic bread maker?

The original poster added "If there isn't enough activity here I can try the Fresh Loaf site". I unfortunately do the same when activity slows to a crawl here, but have found that there are much less serious sourdough enthusiasts there, more like a plethora of wannabes that believe Peter Reinhart is the god of all things made from flour, and that sugar, honey, grapes, sawdust, or shredded bird cage underlayments are the best way to coax sourdough starter to bubble. You have come to the right place by visiting here, even though the postings of the true sourdough gods (who's teachings have kept my starter crock bubbling over, and my breadbox forever full) are now few and far between, there is a wealth of their knowledge that can be gleaned from archived posts or the sourdough faq. Yes, you will find your bread machine advice at the Fresh Loaf, and no doubt there will be those touting the virtues of it's use. This is actually the same type of thing I was looking for when I first found rec.food.sourdough newsgroup. Within a few short weeks I totally abandoned this path and gave my bread machine away, and am very glad I did. By the way, that 10$ you thought was such a good deal could go a long way with simple sourdough bread making, you don't really need allot of fancy toys or ingredients to make great bread for pennies a loaf. Whatever you do, happy baking!