Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default New Food Processor

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 13:53:53 -0500, Brooklyn1

wrote:

>>>A sharp chefs knife and a cutting board is doubly as fast as any home
>>>style food processor, does a FAR neater/precise job too, and takes
>>>under 15 seconds for clean up. Before you can prep a cabbage for cole
>>>slaw to fit your food processer I've shredded the cabbage with a chefs
>>>knife.... and nice long thin shreds.

>>Why aren't you using a scythe? I bet you could cut up your acreage in
>>half the time with your skills? And it would be no time at all to
>>clean up that tool
>>Things have changes since you last looked at a food processor 40 years
>>ago.
>>Janet US

>Nothing has changed regarding prepping to fit that tiny tube and
>cleaning is still cleaning. I have a few neighbors who use fairly
>modern processors, they still don't slice with the precision of a
>chefs knife (not even close), nor do they slice cleanly... processor
>blades are not truly sharp, they essentially tear through foods rather
>than slice... they create a lot of juice... the torn edges oxidize
>quickly... my commercial lawn mowers slice more cleanly.
>When I shred cabbage for slaw I slice the head in half but leave the
>core to hold all the leaves together while slicing with a very sharp
>10" carbon steel chefs knife. I have no problem slicing around the
>core. With a processor quarters won't fit in that tube, eighths may
>not fit... and you need to remove the core so then the leaves flop
>every which way so all you end up with are irregular small bits like
>the slop slaw from a fast food joint, more rough grated than
>shredded... then I'd rather chop cabbage with my meat grinder, which
>I've done. I can neatly finely shred a 10 pound cabbage with a chef's
>knife in about 10 minutes, clean-up takes mere seconds under the
>kitchen tap.
>Even those old time wooden mandoline-like slaw slicers are difficult
>and they are dangerous.
>A commercial food processor like those from Hobart work well but you
>need to do enough volume to justify their price... and they still
>can't slice as neatly/precisely as a sharp chefs knife.
>Home style food processors are the most slovenly food appliances ever
>invented, they do nothing well.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It sounds like
a lot of operator malfuncion to me. Or someone refusing to admit that
he might be wrong. In all the time I've known you, you have had a
bias against food processors. Good enough. You use your knives and I
will do what I want to do in my kitchen.
Janet US