Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Surprise dinner with Bordeaux, plus Rieslings, Italians,Burg,Loire

On 10/3/16 1:28 PM, DaleW wrote:

> Sunday Betsy said shed make a Rosh Hashanah dish of flanken in a
> pomegranate sauce - so wed have leftovers later in the week. She
> cooked and set the table for 2. I picked up some Copps Island oysters
> to start, I shucked and we had those with a small glass of the 2014
> Fevre Chablis (from 375ml). Very good for Chablis AC- granny smith,
> citrus, and a little seashell note. B/B+
>
> For the beef I decanted a claret. Then there was a knock on the door
> and Betsy asked me to get it, where I discovered 7 hungry friends
> (local and from an hour+ away). Total surprise. The friends were
> bearing squash, rice, cheeses, appetizers. Betsy put them to work
> adding leaves to table and resetting, I was told my only job was
> choosing wines. My favorite job
>
> 1979 La Lagune This is the wine I had already decanted. Red and black
> plum, lots of tobacco, structured more with acid than tannin. Lively
> and popular. B+
>
> 1981 Pichon Baron This is considered a weak period for P-Baron, but
> this is actually a very nice, mature, elegant wine. Black currant
> fruit, laced with cedar/cigarbox. Midbodied, just a touch of tannin
> remaining, good length. Pleasant surprise. B+/A- 2006 Fontodi Chianti
> Classico Big styled Chianti, brawny, black cherry and leather. B
>
> 1983 Le Bon Pasteur Still some fruit, but driying tacky tannins, some
> brett, short. C+

Happy Birthday, Dale! Nice job Betsy did of surprising you. Good
lineup of wines you pulled for the dinner, too. I appreciated hearing
about the '15 Briords. I've not bought many '15s as I've been leery of
the heat of the vintage.

Mark Lipton