Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Straws?

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 12:04:17 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> Is this a metaphor?
>
> "We consume 500 million straws each day. The equivalent of 127 school buses
> filled with straws. Its disgusting. There should be children in those
> school buses, going to school, to learn, not straws."

It was a stupid, mixed metaphor.

I believe we could do with a lot fewer straws. I took great pains to
learn to drink from an actual cup. Why do so many adults still use
a straw? It's just like using a "sippy cup".

Granted, they're useful, for example, in hospitals when someone
is holding the cup for you, or you can't coordinate all of those
familiar actions yourself.

If I had a nickel for every time I've gotten a straw in a restaurant
and just pushed it aside, I could retire. It happened just last weekend
at our nearby Thai place.

Cindy Hamilton