Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default No tipping policies

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 14:20:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 5:02:56 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 13:19:24 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > No headstone or zoo bench will maintain meaningful memories.

> > So what? Have you never been to a zoo? There are benches for people
> > to sit on and enjoy watching the animals at their leisure. Those
> > benches are often sponsored/donated, and the donor gets a plaque with
> > their name on it (if they wish). I have used many such benches at the
> > zoo and in City parks. I read the plaque and thank the donor for
> > their thoughtfulness. I didn't know them when they were alive and
> > they aren't a relative, but they did something nice for me anyway -
> > and I'd like to do the same for others.

> I never think that much about the donor. I don't know him from
> Adam's off ox.
>
> The meaningful memories I was referring to are things like
> "Remember when Granddad did this, and Dad did that, and Mom said 'Foo'?"
> I can remember, e.g., John Lennon, but he doesn't mean a darned thing to me.

Those meaningful memories are only maintained by the living and it
won't be a problem for me when it dies with them, because I'll be dead
anyway. The trick is to be loved enough that you are remembered with
fondness, and not be the kind of person whose death others rejoice
over (it happens).

> It doesn't mean that one shouldn't endow a bench at the zoo. The gesture
> is the same whether it's anonymous or not.

Agree.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.