Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] lenona321@yahoo.com is offline

Default New book! "A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression"

On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > No, but I do own "Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's" by Janet Van Amber Paske & Rita Van Amber. Plus the "More with Less Cookbook" by Doris Janzen Longacre, 1979 (Mennonite cookbook). I like the latter one, especially.
> > >

> > > Lenona.
> > >

> > I don't know about any of these cookbooks.

> The latter has some pretty good recipes, IMO. I liked making my own baked corn chips, even if they're not carbon copies of Fritos. The secret ingredient - in the cookbook - is a drop or two of Tabasco sauce, but one wouldn't necessarily guess that from the taste.

Other good recipes from that book: sweet and sour pork & birchermusli (muesli). I haven't really used the book as much as I might have.

Two good recipes from the "Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's":

Donna's Impossible Coconut Pie (the filling is custard - I recommend using 3/4 cup sugar and baking it for 50 minutes or so, contrary to what the recipe says)

Chicken Tetrazzini

BTW, maybe most people here do something like this already, but I like to take a pencil and mark a recipe with symbols, according to whether it falls under the category of "take it or leave it" or "do not repeat" or "DEFINITELY cook this again." Comes in handy years later, when you don't even remember using that recipe!

Lenona.