View Single Post
  #36 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster

Default New book! "A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression"

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:00:10 AM UTC-4, barbie gee wrote:

> I guess even hydrating milk powder is too much work for those on a budget
> anymore?

It's not the work, it's the final COST per gallon.

In last fall's thread: "Baked goods: Calculating your cost," I explained how powdered milk costs more than liquid milk, even when the water is free. (In my area, it costs 35% more than liquid milk. This didn't used to be the case, for whatever reason.)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.food.cooking/lenona$20milk|sort:date/rec.food.cooking/x7HiM7zLKmU/phMBp5L9CQAJ

(Re powdered milk) While it's true that (in my area) an economy-sized box, which has 25.6 ounces and makes 2 gallons of liquid milk, costs $6.99 and therefore is more expensive than liquid skim milk ($2.59 per gallon), it's still sometimes NEEDED in baking (such as one granola recipe), it's useful in camping, and it can be used as a substitute for cream and condensed milk (with sugar, water and margarine). However, I only buy dented boxes of it from the discount rack. "The Tightwad Gazette," vol. 1, talks about its uses on pages 202-203 and 208-209. (I don't know which pages that would be in "The Complete Tightwad Gazette.") It takes 1/3 of a cup to make 1 cup liquid milk.

Lenona.