Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default New book! "A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression"

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 22:52:38 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, wrote:
>>
>> One thing to remember, though - powdered milk was a dollar-stretcher in
>> the 1990s and earlier, but not anymore. Use only if a recipe doesn't
>> work without it.

>I always had a box of powdered milk in the cabinet; came in handy when I
>ran out of milk, and I'd sometimes use it as "coffee creamer" if I didn't
>have any mild on hand. Then one day I noticed the Aldi stopped carrying
>it. I tried Sanalac, but it doesn't dissolve well at all, so I bought an
>"envelope" of Carnation Powdered Milk, and it was expensive.
>
>I guess even hydrating milk powder is too much work for those on a budget
>anymore?

Depends what one calls expensive... I think whole fresh milk is
expensive, I bought a gallon of 2% this morning, $3.12. To my memory
powdered milk has always cost more than fresh milk by about 20% per
gallon, powdered requires a lot more processing. I keep Carnation
powdered milk in my pantry, comes in very handy when milk is needed
for some recipe and the fresh in the fridge has spoiled. For drinking
it's best left in the fridge for a day to fully rehydrate. I also buy
evap by the case, I prefer it for dessert recipes; all sorts of
puddings, especially good for bread pudding. I like evap drizzled
over ice cream, forms a crust.