Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_14_] Ophelia[_14_] is offline

Default New book! "A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the GreatDepression"

"The Greatest!" wrote in message

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 15:19:56 UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" wrote in message ...
>
> On 8/20/2016 2:02 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> > S Viemeister > wrote:

> >> When you use the word 'rationing', do you mean that people were careful
> >> with food and didn't waste anything? Or am I missing something?
> >>

> > Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Making 1 pound of meat stretch to
> > feed
> > 6
> > people, or last more than one meal.
> >

> Ah. That will confuse many people
>
> ------------------------------
>
> It makes sense to me. Many people in the old days had to ration things
> out
> so they lasted until the more became available.

Things that are dirt - common today were precious commodities, e.g. oranges
were given as Christmas presents, a square of chocolate was an eagerly -
anticipated treat, chicken was for Sunday dinner, etc....

Clothing, too...who today darns socks? When you see that in old movies, you
think, "Gee, why don't they just go out and buy a new pair?", the answer of
course being that a simple pair of socks for working people took some
purchasing power...

When I was a kid my mom sewed a lot of our clothes, the sewing machine was
as much or more a part of life as a television set or a refrigerator...

Then, of course, Ms. O, there are the stories of thrifty Scots men patching
their torn French Letters, but of course I know you've no knowledge of that,
I'm practically sure...

;-D

--
Best
Greg

LOL I most certainly do not!! Incidentally I am a Yorkshire lass,
transplanted into Scotland decades ago <g> I came here because I got a good
job you see <g>

But yes, a sewing machine was a big part of my life too) and yes, I did
darn socks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk