Cwdjrx _

I am limiting my list to only 7. However in addition to the main great
grapes, we must have some helper grapes available for Bordeaux. A poor
wine can be made from any variety of grape. Thus I rate by which grape
can produce the greatest wine when grown in the right spot by growers
who know what they are doing. The wine maker has to be top, and the
owner must be a person who aims for the best.

WHITES:
1. Furmint - A great Tokaji Essencia exceeds even a Riesling TBA in
complexity, richness, balance, ability to age, etc. Even Louis XIV
called it the king of wines when he could have anything that France had
to offer.

2. Riesling - Not far down from Furmint. The best TBA can be as complex
as Tokaji Essencia, but it usually is not quite as rich or long lasting.

3. Chenin Blanc - Despite the tons of so-so Chenin Blanc produced, the
rare late harvest sweet ones from a few select regions of the Loire can
exceed anything I have tasted from Sauternes includng Yquem. They are
more complex, richer, and last longer.

4. Chardonnay - Although it does not produce wines of the complexity,
richness, or ability to age as do the above, a top Montrachet is about
as good as you can do with a dry white wine.

RED WINES:

1. Pinot Noir - On the average, many more good Cabernet Sauvignon wines
are produced than Pinot Noirs. But at the top in the right year, La
Tache and Romanee-Conti far exceed any Bordeaux I have ever tasted in
complexity and richness of taste and smell.

2. Cabernet Sauvignon - Of course some helper grapes often are needed.
This grape needs no elaboration.

3. Merlot - Chateau Petrus is based Merlot and can be as great or
greater than most of the Bordeaux first growths based on mostly Cabernet
Sauvignon. Of course Merlot is a helper grape in many of the first
growths.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.