Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:58:38 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT, Leo Bueno
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/histo...ry_of_wine.asp
>> >Since these early times the humble vine can be found growing in most
>> >countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
>> >vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
>> >regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
>> >be premium.
>> >
>> >Which are the 12 "premium" varieties?
>> >
>> >I suspect the list includes:
>> > 1. Chardonnay
>> > 2. Riesling
>> > 3. Sauvignon Blanc
>> > 4. Pinot Gris/Grigio
>> > 5. Cabernet Sauvignon
>> > 6. Merlot
>> > 7. Syrah/Shiraz
>> > 8. Sangiovese

>> 9. Muscat Blanc
>> 10. Pinot Noir
>> 11. Gewurztraminer
>> 12. Chenin Blanc
>>
>> These would be my choice of 12. Followed immediately by category 2
>> international varieties :
>>
>> Pinot Blanc
>> Cabernet Franc
>> Gamay
>> Semillon
>> Grenache
>> Viognier
>> Silvaner
>> Tempranillo

>FWIW, I'd demote Chenin Blanc and Muscat Blanc to 2nd tier

Again, I was looking for those grapes that are used everywhere, or at
least in many places,... I agree that Muscat is not a top performer,
but I would insist on Chenin being a top tier grape. Too many fabulous
wines come from it. And yes, a lot of crap too, as in all cases...

and elevate Pinot
>Blanc and Cabernet Franc to 1st tier.

Hmmm, I like them too, but not international varieties really

>And what about crosses, such as
>Cabernet Sauvignon, Gewürtztraminer and (horror of horrors!) Chardonnay?

All grapes are crosses when you come down to it. I would not consider
the above 3 as "crosses" in the normal sense.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail