Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT, Leo Bueno
> wrote:

>http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/histo...ry_of_wine.asp
>Since these early times the humble vine can be found growing in most
>countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
>vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
>regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
>be premium.
>
>Which are the 12 "premium" varieties?
>
>I suspect the list includes:
> 1. Chardonnay
> 2. Riesling
> 3. Sauvignon Blanc
> 4. Pinot Gris/Grigio
> 5. Cabernet Sauvignon
> 6. Merlot
> 7. Syrah/Shiraz
> 8. Sangiovese

9. Muscat Blanc
10. Pinot Noir
11. Gewurztraminer
12. Chenin Blanc

These would be my choice of 12. Followed immediately by category 2
international varieties :

Pinot Blanc
Cabernet Franc
Gamay
Semillon
Grenache
Viognier
Silvaner
Tempranillo

So what about the others ? nebbiolo, primitivo, mourvedre, marsanne,
vermentino, palomino, tannat, touriga nacional, furmint, gruener
veltliner... Well, these are all truly great grapes, but occuring in a
localized way.

You see it all depends on your criteria for considering a variety
important. Above we went for the international varieties, but if you
now asked which are the 12 grape varieties that result in the world's
top wines, my answer would have been :

Chardonnay
Riesling
Cabernet Sauvignon