Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default No tipping policies

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 07:43:28 -0400, William > wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 15:22:21 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>>No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight – and disaster
>>
>>https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland
>>
>>http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy
>>
>>Note the following point in the article:
>>"According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
>>and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
>>most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
>>obliged*.

Bullshit, I never feel guilty/obliged to tip, When service is lousy I
leave no tip and naturally I'll never be back.

>>He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
>>menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

I don't believe that. People who enjoy eating out consider tipping
and tipping well an investment to ensure excellent future experiences.
Without tipping service declines to the lowest common denominator.
People who detest tipping are fast food addicts, they think mystery
meat burgers are fine cusine.

>What is a proper tip at a "buffet" self serve restaurant where a
>server brings you water and does not come back to your table?
>
>William

They do come back to clean the table. Those would be bussers, not
servers... there are no servers in serve yourself restaurants... if
you must tip yourself. Bussers are paid minimum wage, servers are
paid well below minimum wage, but with tips easily leap way ahead of
minimum wage. At most restaurants servers share part of their tips
with bussers. At most restaurants, with tips servers clear way more
than even the touted $15/hr. Do away with tipping and raise the
server's pay to $15/hr and there'll only be lousy/lazy servers...
people will cease patronizing and won't be long restaurants will close
up left right and center. It won't pay to invest in the restaurant
business under those conditions.