Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default No tipping policies

On Sunday, August 14, 2016 at 3:22:24 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:
> No-tipping policies at US restaurants prompt delight €“ and disaster
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...fects-portland
>
> http://tiny.cc/ng4ydy
>
> Note the following point in the article:
> "According to research by Michael Lynn, professor of consumer behaviour
> and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration,
> most people tip not based on service, but *because they feel guilty and
> obliged*. He also found that 53% of customers liked the idea of higher
> menu prices where tipping is not permitted."

So with this new policy if adopted country-wide results in poor service or crappy food we can just get to pay a built-in tip, like it or not. Could mean fewer customers or certainly more discrimination as to where we dine.
In theory things should be better for the workers but I'm fairly suspicious that this is just a money grab.I guess I've been out in the world too long and have become more suspicious of business-men and their motives.
====