Ray

"SansMeat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Ray" > wrote in message
> > When I became a vegetarian some thirty odd years ago, there was little

on
> > the
> > market to make the transition easy. There was no 'Quorn' or 'Tofu', just
> > TPV.
> > Although TVP can be made palatable by a half decent cook, it remains

just
> > that
> > 'palatable'

> I think tofu has been around just wee bit longer than TVP. Since

"palatable"
> to my understanding means "pleasant tasting" I'm not sure what your trying
> to say in regards to using TVP.

My understanding of palatable is "acceptable", and nothing more.

My mistake. You are correct.
But put yourself in my position some thirty years ago. People like myself
trying to live a decent life, did not have all the knowledge easilly
obtained from the internet. OTOH TVP was easy to obtain and so were the
bland recipes

> > Now that we have 'Quorn', there is no need for 'would be' ethical
> > vegetarians to suffer
> > from meat withdrawal symptoms. Some of the Quorn products now on the

> market
> > taste
> > dangerously like meat!

> Why is it "dangerous" to taste like meat?

Depends on your attitude, some may state that if you like the taste of meat,
you are a hypocite for eating substitutes Remember I usually post from the
rough NG aaev, where the real work is done..

> > A couple of the problems which you have alredy highlighted are very
> > important, if you have
> > an allergy to mushrooms, 'Quorn' is not for you.
> >
> > Also for vegans, albumin is used as a binder in some Quorn products, but

> not
> > all, so vegans
> > should read the small print.

> Albumen is used in "ALL" Quorn products.

I'll take your word for it.

> >However for ethical vegetarians, please note,
> > the albumin used
> > in the production of some of these products is obtained only from 'free
> > range' chickens.
> >
> > 'Marlow Foods' is an ethical company with an excellent help desk back up
> > facility.
> >
> > Enjoy your food and thanks for posting.
> >
> > Also please note that you will receive abuse from the aaev newsgroup.

Some
> > of it's
> > members eat meat, moselty uncooked:-)

I add for members of rec. food .vegan and alt.food .vegan, that my attitude
to food is - I like something to taste good and not a derivative of any
animal content, it is not my hobby.

The original posting was crossposted, but not by me.

People of the likes of Vicky Conlan, do AR issues more harm than good.

They are viewed as Kooks and not Cooks.