Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:16:25 -0500
"Fred" > wrote:

> > > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.
> > >

> > My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a

> week,
> > often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch
> > capacity and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach
> > the bread making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any
> > kind) is

> mixed
> > a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an

> autolyse.
> > Janet
> >

> OK, so you would like me to amend my statement to say that consumer
> mixers available today aren't strong enough to mix bread dough every day.
> No
> problem.

*shrug*

KA 28 years ago was Hobart rather than the washing machine company. I'd
buy a refurbished 30 year old KA, no problem.

The Bosch today is actually stronger than the Bosch 20 years ago.

And i machine knead for 12 minutes. I'm not at all careful with it. One
time i had it on a smooth countertop that was a little greasy, left the
room, heard a *wham*, came back to find the bosch lying on it's side on
the floor, still kneading an apparently off-center load of dough. It'd
walked itself right off the counter. It's no worse for wear.

I keep meaning to open it up, clean things, give it a liberal
application of polysynthetic grease, but, meh.

To be fair, I was using the steel mixing bowl. Not sure how the plastic
one would have fared.