View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Rkatseteli, assorted roses, Nebbiolos, CCR, etc

Sunday Betsy had a concert at Music Mountain, I went over to friends for a nice evening (and she joined us for a late dinner). Nice group, warm but with low humidity and a good breeze comfortable on the deck watching sunset over Palisades and Hudson.

Some nice warm weather wines:

2013 Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli
Fun to blind Fred on this one. White pit fruits, citrus, white pepper. Nice finish. This kind of reminded me of a softer Gruner Veltliner. Fun for a $10 closeout. B

2015 Jolivet Sancerre Rose
Pale, crisp, strawberry fruited. B

2015 Lauverjet Sancerre Rose
Also pale, zippy cranberry and raspberry fruit, mineral, good finish. B+/B

There was also a 2015 Negroamaro rose from Puglia, but I neglected to write down producer. Deeper color, red plum fruit, sweet/juicy, too soft for me. C+

Nice dinner of pork roast, slaw, olive bread, and corn. This was originally supposed to be a Northern Italian tasting for my local non-serious group, but when many couldnt make it switched to a general dinner with spouses and others. But we did have 3 €śtheme€ť bottles

2003 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva
Plush, ripe, black cherry and leather. I like a bit more acid in my Sangiovese but this was pretty good. B

2012 Ar Pe Pe Rosso di Valtellina
Bright acids, light tannin, crisp red fruit with floral and forest floor notes. B+

2010 Vallana Spanna
Light bodied, somewhat gritty tannins, pleasant red fruit but seemingly a bit closed. B- for now

Fun night. No wine Monday with spaghetti with green puttanesca

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.