Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Northern Catskills Hudson Valley

On 6/14/2016 6:27 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 6/14/2016 1:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> WHy don't you just let them stay for free instead of wrecking the
>>> building out of spite? You let the cats stay in the barn rent-free,
>>> And heck, you even feed them for free and pay their utilities.
>>> Where's your compassion for the human race, grumpy old man!

>> Those cats do more than pay their keep by keeping many acres rodent
>> free, I haven't seen evidence of voles for two years now... those
>> underground pygmys were killing my shrubs by munching their roots. The
>> cats eat very little cat food, they much prefer rabit, squirrel,
>> chipmonk, field mice, frogs, etc.... fact is possums and skunks eat
>> more dried cat food than the cats. All critters are welcome to my
>> food bank, at least they don't steal my donations.
>>
>> Tenants suck, they pay no rent and cause destruction. It's much
>> smarter to remove that cottage, it'll reduce my property taxes by
>> nearly 30%. In this economy there are few tenants that pay their
>> bills. That cottage has been empty four years, it has been an expense
>> to maintain, time for it to go.
>>

> It depends on the type of tenants you get. I rented for many years,
> starting with the years I was in graduate school and then when I moved
> to Texas. I left every apartment in better condition than when I got it
> because I treated them as my home. I also had very good landlords. On
> one occasion, I came home to find new living room furniture. My
> landlord told me that I had lived there for 5 years, and he had not
> needed to spend any money on the apartment, so he thought I deserved new
> furniture (it was a furnished unit). Similarly, my landlord in another
> location gave me one month free because he said he counted on using some
> of a tenant's money for repairs, and he had not needed to spend anything
> on my apartment. I eventually bought my own home, but not because of
> problems with landlords or neighbors.
>
> MaryL

Replacement furniture (for a furnished unit) certainly was a plus! I
had some bad landlords but I was never a bad tenant. I only asked them
to fix things that actually needed repaired. I wasn't calling them up
whining about silly stuff like a clogged drain. More like hey, the HVAC
unit isn't working. Or when the water heater broke and flooded the
dining room. (It was a small tank underneath counter in the corner of
the kitchen, next to the dining room). They had to replace the carpet
in the dining room, too. Not my fault and I was not penalized in any way.

I dislike moving. I stayed in my last apartment for 11 years (12 if you
count the year it sat empty while I was taking care of my parents and
then settling Mom's estate).

Before that I was in an apartment for five years. I only moved because
the demographics of the area in general and the apartment complex
specifically had changed drastically. The apartment management company
changed, too.

Towards the end it seems like they were letting just *anyone* move in.

There was a woman who appeared to be in her early 30's with a teenage
son living across the hall from me. One day I came home and there was a
rental truck backed up and they were clearing out - very quickly! The
next evening I heard lots of noise. Peeked out the peep-hole in the
kitchen door. Three youths kicking down the door! I slipped the chain
on the door, made sure the deadbolt was engaged. Then I slunk back to
the bedroom and called 911. The police caught the teen gang members and
hauled them off to jail. (They were drug dealers intent on collecting a
debt from this teenage boy who had just cleared out.) The detective on
the case called me to tell me they'd been sprung on bail and
disappeared. Love love love hearing that!

After that a young guy (early 20's) and his girlfriend moved in across
the hall. They had no visible means of support - not my business, of
course. Could have been trust-fund kids driving a brand new Mazda and
had loud visitors coming and going at all hours of the day and night.
One evening after work I was sitting outside on the balcony, reading a
book. The guy made a point of showing me his handgun. It was not a big
stretch to figure out they were also dealing out of the apartment. Who
wants to live with this crap?! Just so happens my lease was up for
renewal so I quickly shopped for an apartment well away from that area
and moved.

Jill