Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet B Janet B is offline

Default Neighborly neighbors

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 12:49:13 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 08:59:08 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>

>> Two different sets of neighbors just got back from their summer trips.
>> My next door neighbors (they did the ship tour of the Rhine) brought
>> me a little bundle of hot paprika. They were told by the vendor to
>> only sprinkle a little on top of food. The package of hot paprika is
>> 50g. 50g seems like a lot to have around if you are only going to
>> sprinkle a little on top of food?
>> My across the street neighbor (they did the bicycle/barge/canal tour
>> of Holland) brought me a container of Marrakech Mix. It's a coarse
>> mix of herbs, spices and salt. I did a little Internet checking on
>> this one and I think it is meant to be a rub for raw meat? Maybe a
>> curry of sorts? I really can't identify specifics on the Marrakech
>> Mix.
>>
>> My neighbors always bring me something tasty for my kitchen. I would
>> love some ideas for using these two spices.
>> Thanks
>> Janet US

>Here's your Marrakech seasoning
>https://www.google.com/search?q=dutc...utf-8&oe=utf-8
>Cumin, cinnamon, coriander and thyme are traditional ingredients in
>BBQ rubs, so you could make a Moroccan themed rub. Also, it sounds
>like a simplified version of ras al hanout, so what about looking for
>recipes with that as an ingredient. I
>
>Your Hungarian hot paprika can be used anywhere you'd use cayenne or
>you could make a traditional Hungarian dish like paprikash. The best
>news is this is your excuse to make Nokedli (Hungarian noodles).
>OMG - so delicious!
>
>http://norecipes.com/blog/2009/02/10/csirke-paprikas- with-nokedli-
>chicken-paprikash/
>
>1 C flour
>2 large eggs
>2-4 Tbs plain yogurt
>
>To make the nokedli, put the flour in a bowl and add the eggs, one at
>a time mixing to combine. Add the yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time until
>the dough is very wet and soft (about the texture of soft mochi), but
>not runny. Let the dough rest while the chicken cooks.
>
>The blogger says:
>Run the soft dough through a potato ricer, which extrudes perfectly
>rustic looking dumplings that could almost pass for Gemelli. A few
>squirts of dough into the boiling water and you’ll have enough Nokedli
>to feed 2 people in less time that it took you to read this paragraph.
>
>My ricer has holes on the side too, so it's kind of messy to use. I
>finally bought a spaetzle maker - but everyone went either low carb or
>gluten free on me shortly after that, and I haven't used the darn
>thing.

thanks so much for your thoughtful answer. I appreciate it and will
look into the various items you mention. I can only imagine that the
fresh noodles are wonderful. I got rid of my ricer some years ago.
I've heard that some people run the dough through a colander -- would
that be too large holes for what you have in mind?
Janet US