zxcvbob

Default __Food Safety Question -- "Safe" Method (Guidelines) for UsingAlchohol as a Preservative?

I've made pepper sauce by grinding up habanero peppers in a fortified
Chinese cooking wine that resembles sherry. I believe the ABV of the
wine was about 20%, and it contained about 1% salt to make it
undrinkable. I didn't weigh the peppers, but I suspect I had about 2
parts wine to 1 part peppers, so the final strength was maybe 13%
alcohol. I chopped the peppers into a canning jar, added the wine,
sealed the jar very tightly, and cooked in a water bath for a while to
cook the peppers. I refrigerated it, and when cooled I ground it up
with a "stick blender". It kept for over a year in the refrigerator
until I used it up. I do not recommend putting something like this in a
narrow-necked pepper sauce bottle; the vapor pressure of the alcohol can
spew the sauce out when you open the lid. (don't ask me how I know this)

If I did this again, I would blanch the whole peppers in a steamer to
make them grind easier and to deactivate their enzymes. Plunge in cold
water to preserve any bright color that was left. Then grind up with
the fortified wine, and adjust the salt. And I wouldn't bother to cook
it. I think it would be shelf stable.

Next time, I may try using the strongest white vermouth I can find
instead of fortified rice wine.

This isn't analytical research, but I hope it helps,
Bob