Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:04:04 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > On 5/3/2016 7:23 PM, cshenk wrote:
> >

> >> In a wierdness here a landline costs 140$ a month so we got rid of

> that.
> >
> > Where is here? We can get phone and internet for $35 for basic
> > service. Not sure, but phone alone is about half that.

> I looked at the broadband prices in her area (actually Gary's area),
> and the prices on that are really high (for slow speeds) compared to
> other locales. So it wouldn't surprise me that landline phone is
> high, too. But not $140 - that would be unheard of. AT&T says it's
> 32.99/mo (+ fees - about $40 total) for unlimited local + long
> distance in Virgina.
>
> Which was what my landline was before I switched to VOIP - now it's
> $20/month. Plus another $35 for 16Gbit Internet - so about $55 for
> both phone and Internet.
>
> -sw

Actually I just looked again. Looks like we are down now (might be
install was 140 which stuck in my mind but I know the monthly was way
over cell cost then). It was really high when I came back from Japan.
Either way, a cell can be cheaper here and since I need that for work
reasons, no point in having both.