Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Del Cecchi"
> wrote:

> "Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> >
> > > As Sam would say: "I so 'cited."
> > >
> > > Here are my 20 canning entries in this year's Minnesota State Fair and
> > > how they fared at the fair (it opened today; Chris and I will head out
> > > in a couple hours):
> > >

> > Prize take snipped
> >
> > Way to go, Barb! This looks better than last year's haul, IIRC.
> >
> > Cindy
> >
> > --
> > C.J. Fuller
> >
> > Delete the obvious to email me

> Congratulations!!
>
> Would you post the recipe for the Bread and Butter Pickles? Or is it a
> trade secret?
>
> del cecchi

I've posted it a number of times and am happy to do so again:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Bread & Butter Pickles

Recipe By : Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.cooking 8-26-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

4 quarts sliced medium cukes (about 25)
3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
2 green peppers -- chopped (or 1 red
and 1 green)
3 cloves garlic -- sliced
1/3 cup canning salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed

Combine cukes, onions, cauliflower, pepper, and garlic. Add salt; cover
with cracked ice; mix thoroughly. Let stand three hours, drain well.
Combine second column ingredients, pour over cuke mixture. Heat just to
a boil. Seal in hot, sterilized jars; process 10 minutes in a boiling
water bath. Yield: 7-8 pints.

Source: Recipe is originally from an old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook in 1983. My sister Anne adds 1 cup of cauliflowerettes to the
vegetable program.
NOTES : Blue Ribbon Winner at the Minnesota State Fair in 1984, 1985,
2001, 2003, 2004. Yee-hah!!
Best of the Pickles in 2001 -- Gedney prize. Ball & Kerr Prize for Best
Pickled Foods 2004; 3rd Place Gedney Prize for Best Flavored Vinegar
Pickle 2004.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 8/22/04; check the Fairs Fare tab.