Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Produce shortage?

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:49:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:02:44 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I get my produce at No Frills, and it's also about half the price of
>>> the other stores. I don't like their navel oranges or grapefruit that
>>> much, though. They tend to be sour. I get those at Sobeys.
>>>
>>> My meat shopping is split between Sobeys and Metro. Anything in a box
>>> or can usually comes from No Frills.
>>>
>>> Doris

>> I shop all over, including the high end Whole Foods and Central Market.
>>Same situation all over.

> I don't understand how you can shop so many places and schlep to and
> fro when your feet are so painful and you are so handicapped. I know
> that my challenged leg wears me out with just one trip to Costco or
> Winco and yet you manage more than one store. I'm pleased for you.
> Janet US

When did I say that my feet were painful? What would they be painful with?
I don't remember saying this. Yes, I am disabled. Does this mean I should
never go to the store? Disabled people need exercise too you know and
shopping is my main form as I can hang on to the shopping cart for balance.

I did not say that I go to all stores in one day. I also have to take my
now nearly totally blind mom shopping.

I'm not stupid. I know how to plan things. I generally plan my shopping
trips. Last time at Winco we hit the produce and dairy sections only. In
this particular store they are on opposite ends of the store. For some odd
reason, the bread that I buy is not with the other bread but on a floor
display near the dairy. I needed that and also cottage cheese.

I will sometimes go up and down almost every aisle but I have been getting
plenty of exercise with the Spring cleaning and prom stuff so I only went
where I needed to go.

I also try to buy what I can online, mainly at Walmart, Boxed, Drugstore,
etc. Things like nuts, some canned goods, beef jerky and other shelf stable
things. I recently placed an order at HEB. But there are some things that
are cheaper to get in the brick and mortar stores and some I just have to
like produce. So most of the time when I do go grocery shopping, I have one
or two bags of things. If doing a stock up at Winco, I may have as many as
6 bags.

I have to go to so many stores because... Some have cheaper prices for some
things. Some carry specific things that I can't get elsewhere. And my mom
is fond of a store that I don't particularly like. I have to take her
there. I will go in and if I need a thing or two that they sell, then I
might buy them there to save a trip elsewhere. It isn't always all about
the cheapest price for me.

That's my shopping now. When I was at my worst and before they had figured
out why I was so crippled, I went to the store every day. I could do two
aisles in one shopping trip. Two close together aisles. I was that
crippled. I really had to plan my shopping carefully making the most of it.
We all ate more produce than anything in those days because the produce
section was just inside the door. And if things were really bad for me, I
could always just go to the drugstore. It was smaller and I didn't have to
walk far to get frozen sausage, boxed mac and cheese, butter, milk, canned
green beans or a few other things. Wasn't my first choice but I could still
make a meal.

There are those who sit around and whine and those who manage to do. I
prefer to manage to do. I find ways.