Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doris Night[_3_] Doris Night[_3_] is offline

Default Produce shortage?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:02:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-04-25 6:32 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:35:47 PM UTC-4, Doris Night wrote:

>> Produce looks great here (where "great" takes into account the season).
>> Maybe she needs to upgrade her grocery store, travel a little farther,
>> or something. Since we eat a lot of fresh vegetables, I've settled
>> on the place that has the best vegetables (and it's a happy coincidence
>> that they have excellent prices), but I don't buy meat there.
>>

>We may be shopping at the same store. I go to a local Food Basics for
>produce. I think some of their stuff is a lower grade due to
>appearance. Red Peppers, for instance, are rarely that plump cylindrical
>shape that you see at other grocery stores and produce markets. They
>skinny and misshapen, but they taste the same and sell for about half
>the price. My main cereal is Shredded Wheat and it is generally about
>20% cheaper there and often goes on sale for about 40% off. There are a
>few other things I get there, but only bought meat there once and I
>doubt I would ever buy it there again.

I get my produce at No Frills, and it's also about half the price of
the other stores. I don't like their navel oranges or grapefruit that
much, though. They tend to be sour. I get those at Sobeys.

My meat shopping is split between Sobeys and Metro. Anything in a box
or can usually comes from No Frills.

Doris