Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doris Night[_3_] Doris Night[_3_] is offline

Default Produce shortage?

On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:50:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Anyone else noticing produce problems in their area? Seems no matter where
>I go, they have more bananas than usual. They do look good but none of us
>are big on those so don't need. As for the rest... There seems to be less
>variety than usual for this time of year, and often I leave the store with
>less than I wanted or even an alternate thing. And it's not just one store
>but every store.
>
>Husband loves asparagus. I got some that was good but can't remember where.
>Two other stores had none. Then I found some but it was really big and
>woody.
>
>I wanted green bell peppers. I was craving them. But all of the green ones
>were so wrinkled and mushy I was a bit shocked that they were even out there
>for sale.
>
>Have to really pick through the onions to find good ones. Stuff like that.
>
>This may have somewhat to do with our weather. Draught. Then too much
>rain. Freak heat wave. Now cold. Or it may have to do (at least with some
>stores) with whatever they are doing with the Albertsons/Safeway/Haggen
>mess. Dunno.
>
>I will just be happy when I can get a good salad again. Having to make do
>with greens, onions, nuts, beans, olives and rationed tomato. Because when
>I do find a good tomato, it's usually just the one. That's not necessarily
>a bad salad but I like other veggies too.

No problems with produce here in Southern Ontario. It's pretty much
the same variety of stuff as always, plus the "seasonal" stuff like
asparagus, and there's plenty of everything. At this time of the year,
most of it comes from Mexico, but I have no issues with the freshness
of anything.

I don't get what you are saying about tomatoes. Aside from the fact
that they are "winter" tomatoes, all of the ones here are fine. I
think we must have better grocery stores in Canada.

Doris