Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken stew

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/24/2016 2:53 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
>>> Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
>>> Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
>>> potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
>>> probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

>> I posted a few that show a lot of variation and her recipe title was a
>> chicken stew so maybe it was not meatless (didnt see meat in the
>> ingredients but thats ok, none of us post perfectly).
>>
>> I liked her version too. Even if the recipes I had in stock do not
>> show it, canned creamed corn is very commonly added. The potato feels
>> one off to me but the general versions use it so I'm the oddball there.
>>

> To me, the addition of white beans AND potatoes in this dish seemed off.
> Double the starch.

I would not normally add the beans. But when cleaning out the stockpile, I
found a somewhat old can of them. Not expired but just the lone can. And I
needed to keep some of the remaining potatoes for tonight's meal. So I just
added less potato. I do really watch my carb count. Yes, there were other
carbs in there too. The peas, corn and a little flour. But I added a lot
of celery and onion and there were the green beans. Summer squash and
tomatoes would work or really any veggies that you like but... My pot was
full so... That's what we had.