BFB

Jessica W wrote:

> String cheese and grapes
> Yogurt sprinkled with soy nuts, sunflower seeds, or granola
> Peanut butter on graham crackers
> Apple wedges dipped in peanut butter
> Trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and cereal pieces
> A bowl of cereal. Use non-sugared type and add banana slices or raisins.
> Ants on a log: Spread peanut butter on celery and dot with raisins.
> Mini-pizza: Toast 1/2 English muffin. Top with pizza sauce and mozzarella
> cheese, heat in microwave until cheese is melted.
> Tortilla spread with low-fat cream cheese and rolled up with turkey and
> lettuce leaf

Of course, "healthy" is a relative term. For instance, as much as I
LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE english muffin pizzas, & have spent many an hour
making various versions (e.g., caramelized onions, roasted red peppers,
thin slices of grilled portobellos, roasted garlic & minced clams,
crumbled bacon, & many others), I don't really think anyone would
seriously consider pizza to be a "healthy snack", whether or not they
have a cholesterol problem, although in the latter case it's obviously
not. And given that something like half of the country has a cholesterol
problem, saying pizza is a healthy snack strikes me as wrong, or for
that matter, that cheese is generally a "good thing" to eat, although
I'm all for eating it.

Nonetheless, given that food & cooking for me is something that make
life enjoyable, I'll make & enjoy certain things in moderation, knowing
they're not necessarily the "healthiest" things.

Similarly, I'm dubious that graham crackers are a health feast the way
things are produced today.

Mind you, I'm all for eating these things in moderation. But I think to
invoke the moniker "healthy snax" in a vacuum is nearsighted. I'm not
trying to nit here, but if one stands atop Mount Health with etched
tablets that say "Healthy Snax", then I think that's fair game for
scrutiny [yes, I know, if someone is allergic to fruit, then fruit's
wrong & if they can't eat peanuts, then peanut butter's no good. I'm
talking about what might be reasonably considered "healthy" in a broad
context]

IMHO.

But I will nit about english muffin pizzas made in the microwave. Now
THAT'S just wrong!

---
BFB
NYC