Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Chicken stew

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:29:10 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > That's our dinner. We had that freak heat wave and now it is cool
> > and rainy. So I made the stew. It smelled so good while cooking
> > that the cats looked up at me with big eye, licking their lips. It
> > has potatoes, white beans, creamed corn, corn, peas, green beans
> > onions, celery, salt, pepper, parsley and bay leaves. Also a very
> > small amount of Wondra flour. The creamed corn was a boo boo. I
> > don't usually buy it and didn't realize I had grabbed the wrong can
> > until I saw it going in. It did add nice body to it so it needed
> > very little thickening.

> With minor variation, that is called burgoo here.

I've looked at burgoo recipes before and not wanted to try it, but
Julie's version sounds good to me. I realize now that I've make Caldo
Verde several times that potato starch alone (even from yellow
potatoes) thickens well, but I like the creamed corn idea. I'd
probably throw in some whole kernels "just because", but that's me.

--

sf