View Single Post
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster

Default TN: Penedes bubbles, Campania white, Coonawarra red

Wednesday leftovers with the 1994 Lindemans Limestone Ridge Shiraz/Cabernet..
Still plenty of fruit here. Sweet blackberry meets cassis, the sweet character is a little distracting , but it's not hot (13.5, pretty restrained). Tannins resolved, a soft and easy wine. B-/B

Thursday an old neighbor was in town, we invited her and the neighbor family hosting her to dinner. We started with olives, mushrooms, and a Ottolenghi baba ganoush recipe with pomegranate. Wine was the 2013 Perelada "Stars" Cava Brut Nature. Dry going towards austere, green apples and ginger. Hey, it's inexpensive. B-

Dinner was a shrimp casserole, grilled asparagus with feta, and couscous with herbs (lots, kind of like a couscous tabbouleh). Wine was the 2013 Donnachiara Fiano di Avellino. Very full bodied white, but with good acidity. Pear, almond, and a minty herb note. Good length, fine value at $14. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.