Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

On 4/10/2016 12:44 PM, graham wrote:
> On 10/04/2016 9:58 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 4/10/2016 9:17 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>>> I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
>>> nothing for all that.
>>>

>> How much does the average Canadian pay for free medical? Based on
>> income?
>>

> Nothing directly out of pocket. It's government funded, therefore it
> comes out of tax revenue.
> It's far more efficient and cheaper that way.
> Graham

So, you have no idea what that translates to in dollars?

I did find this and it does not look so good.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/nadeem-...b_3733080.html
In 2013, a typical Canadian family of four can expect to pay $11,320 for
public health care insurance. For the average family of two parents with
one child that bill will be $10,989, and for the average family of two
adults (without children) the bill comes to $11,381. As a result of
lower average incomes and differences in taxation, the bills are smaller
for the average unattached individual ($3,780), for the average
one-parent-one-child family ($3,905), and the average one-parent
two-child family ($3,387). But no matter the family type, the bill is
not small, much less free.

And it gets worse. Changing demographics mean Canada's health care
system has a funding gap of $537 billion. While health care is costly
and underperforming today, in the absence of reform the future will
either hold large increases in taxes, further reductions in the
availability of medical services, further erosion of non-health care
government services, or all of the above.

Canadians pay a substantial amount of money for their universal health
care system each year through the tax system but get a fairly poor deal
in return. Reforming Canadian health care based on lessons from other,
more successful, universal access health care systems is the key to
solving that problem.