Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet B Janet B is offline

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 08:18:44 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > I spend 4 days in ICU and another 3 nights in the hospital. I was billed
>> > nothing for all that.

>> My God. If that was in the USA, you would face a bill of (just
>> guessing) over $20K.
>> ===========
>>
>> Are you kidding? Well over $75,000.00 would be more like it.

>I believe you, Cheri. I'm just medical-billing challenged. 4 days in
>ICU would certainly run it up quite a bit.
>==========
>
>My dh took a fall four or so years ago, he went to emergency, had a cat scan,
>stitches in his eye, and treatment for assorted scrapes and bruises, stayed for
>four hours total, the bill was $23,000.00 billed out to Medicare. Thankfully, we
>had a pretty small co-pay in all of it considering the size of the bill, but I
>spent 13 years without insurance, so I feel your pain. The only upside is that a
>person finds out that the body is pretty good at healing itself, and there are
>no hypochondriacs running to the doctor every time they sneeze among the average
>uninsured person. :-)
>
>Cheri

Your prices seem way out of line to me. I went to the Emergency Room
last fall because I thought I was having a DVT issue. I was there a
couple of hours, saw a doctor a couple of times, was hooked up for IV,
had a blood test and the bill was a little over $400. I don't
remember what the billing was when I was in the hospital one week in
ICU and another in the heart unit, had surgery, plenty of tests but it
was well under $100,000. Of course, this is a non-profit hospital --
maybe that makes a difference. This isn't a podunk hospital.
Janet US