Gyorgy Sajo

(Space Cowboy) wrote in message m>...
> Tea fermentation methods were established in China by 1600. The
> Portuguese in the late 1500's in China describe it as a 'chaw'
> ingested orally and not infused. Black tea was used in 1600's to
> survive 18 month sea trips. A 1660 newspaper advertisement describes
> it a leaf with humidity removed by drying in the shade and stored in
> iron skillets. The English terms Bohea for black tea and Hyson
> meaning green tea was used by 1700. When black tea drinking became
> popular in Europe it became popular in China. By the 1860's and
> Clipper ships voyage of 100 days oolong is brought to England.
>
> Jim

Great info, thank you. Do you mind if I ask you about your sources? I
am not mistrustful, but I have not yet found a good and detailed book
about the history of the tea in Europe. I could not find any detailed
information about which kind of teas were imported to Europe since
1610 and in the following two centuries.

> Tea fermentation methods were established in China by 1600.

Does it apply to semifermented teas like oolong, too? I would love to
know, where and when those teas first appeared in China.

BTW it is interesting, that while you can read a lot about the history
of green tea in China, there are scarce informations - if any - about
the origins and the history of oolong, black/red and puerh teas.

Thank you,
Gyorgy