Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are full-fat dairy foods better for you after all?

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 8:25:31 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 09:33:59 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 10:57:29 AM UTC-4, Janet B wrote:
> > > this study was reported in the journal "Circulation".

> > Major snippage.
> >
> > I take the middle road. 2% milk, low-fat yogurt sometimes,
> > full-fat yogurt other times, and real butter when I want
> > something buttery, but all in moderation. I've reduced
> > my intake of carbs, but I can't really say I'm even
> > "low carb", just "not stupid carbs".
> >
> > We'll see how that plays out over time.
> >
> > Of course, people want there to be one cause for things,
> > and a magic bullet to fix problems. The real world
> > just isn't so accommodating.
> >

> I used to do 2% too, but I don't consume much milk or cream so I
> switched to full fat milk and heavy cream because they are all purpose
> for me. The cream goes in my coffee and takes the place of a flour
> slurry in gravy, milk is always used up before it goes bad if I stick
> to a quart. Don't ask me how, the specifics range from cereal to
> quiche.

Everybody's different. I do about a gallon and a half of milk
every week (including putting it in coffee), but I never make gravy
or quiche. We've just no use for cream (light or heavy) in this
house anymore. I'm habituated to the taste of 2%; whole milk seems
"too much" nowadays.

Cindy Hamilton