Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 21:15:29 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I keep a black marker in my kitchen drawer, and whenever I open
>>> something and only use part of it, like a box of chicken stock or a
>>> jar of pasata, I write the day I opened it on the top of the
>>> container. Boxed stock is supposed to be used within 2 weeks of
>>> opening, so this way you don't have to worry about remembering when is
>>> has to be used.
>>>
>>> Doris
>>>

>>Aren't Sharpies wonderful?! I mark my freezer containers (various
>>shapes and sizes, some portioned) for homemade leftovers with date and
>>content information. It just makes sense.

> Me too. And I also use them to mark my hard-boiled eggs with an
> "H".Otherwise, my husband would be attempting to fry them.

I no longer make hard boiled as they don't get eaten. But when I did make
them, I tinted them. I'd get the egg dye when it was marked down to next to
nothing. If I didn't have that, then I'd use food coloring. Didn't need to
be a deep color so I could just put a tiny bit into the boiling water.