Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dating Expiration of Refrigerated Foods

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> William wrote:
>>
>> What is your method of rotating foods including leftovers into the
>> refrigerator and out to be eaten or dumped into the garbage?

> Leftovers in fridge are eaten within 3-5 days. After that, tossed.
> That rarely happens though. I often freeze things.
>
> Here's a good one. I bought an 8oz package of Crystal Farms
> cream cheese forever ago. The "use by" date is Sept.10,2015.
> That's almost 7 months ago.
>
> What would Julie do in this case? Same as me...toss it.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I just opened it up to smell.
> hmmmm...it looks and smells perfectly fine but I'll still
> trash it. That amount of time does bother me. I can
> buy another on sale for only $1.50.

I started buying cream cheese at the business Costco in individual packets.

Why? I bought a small container of some kind. Had been opened but not
expired. Needed a small amount for some savory recipe. Can't remember what
it was now. Wound up making something else because the cream cheese was
moldy.

Cream cheese is one thing that I never know how much will get eaten. The
other two might wolf down a lot of it in a week or might not touch it for
months.