Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Jacques Jacques is offline

Default Why do my teas now taste bland or metallic to me?

I drink tea every day, especially when I'm working, having anywhere from 3-5
cups a day ("cup" means a full mug/tea cup with a new tea bag). I take my tea
black always--never any sugar or anything else. Just the hot water and the
tea bag.

I've been only using bag tea, and I've been thinking maybe I need to start
using loose leaf tea to solve my problem.

I like any teas, but my go-to is green tea.

About 6 months ago, all my teas would taste fantastic. The flavors were very
interesting (most varieties of white teas / green teas), and my absolute
favorite tea was Jasmine tea. One day, I started having my usual cup of White
Tea (Mighty Leaf White Orchard), and it started to taste like metal.
Absolutely terribly taste. It was from the same package I had been using. I
soon discovered the same was true for my beloved Jasmine tea.

Eventually, even Green Tea started to taste metallic like. For Green tea, I
started using 2-3 bags per cup, and this helped. Now I can do OK with just 1
bag of Green Tea. But I still can't drink the White or Jasmin teas.

What could be at play? The water I use is always purified.

1. Have my tea cups degraded?

2. did my body get too used to those flavors that I no longer taste them?

3. am I getting old (only in my early twenties)?

4. ???