Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:59:09 PM UTC-7, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 1:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> >>
> >> I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up.
> >> I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm
> >> and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.

> > Then for you cooking is an even bigger PIA
> >
> >> I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers.

> > How long do you think they'd last before being stolen by lazy *******s

> (snippage)
>
> I actually agree with you on this one, Sheldon. There's a reason the
> servers at *finer* (note the word finer) restaurants offer to grind
> pepper over your food at the table rather than just leave a grinder on
> the table. Too many of those fine, upstanding citizens have stolen them.
>
> Jill

I for one do not like servers to grind pepper onto MY food. They certainly don't know how much to grind or get it distributed properly.
Also they often have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by even being there.
Nothing I hate worse than some lackey fawning at my elbow and no doubt wondering as to how much of a tip I'm going to leave (or not leave).

By the way...salt, pepper and sugar dispensers are usually great germ carriers...always use a disposable napkin to handle them, lest you end up with the same disease(s) as the last person(s) who touched them.
=====