Posted to rec.food.cooking
graham[_4_] graham[_4_] is offline

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On 23/02/2016 1:42 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/23/2016 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> The truth is that I like a little fresh ground pepper on scrambled
>> eggs. It only takes a few grinds. What I'm not going to do is grind
>> pepper into a whole pot of stew or for times when I need a good amount
>> of black pepper. That's just ridiculous.
>>

> Better quality is ridiculous? My Atlas grinder can crank out all you
> need for a big pot of stew in less than a minute. I do the same when I
> make a rub for smoked brisket too.

The trouble is that with steel grinder mechanisms, people will often
twist the mechanism back and forth when they are designed to grind only
with a clockwise motion. There is a clockwise spiral crush/pre-grind
part just above the final grinding teeth. I have some spare mechanisms
in the shop ready to make pepper mills from some fancy woods.
Graham