Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 10:12:13 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 10:39:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 6:37:16 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
> >>
> >> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
> >>
> >>
> >> Lenona.

> >
> >I found a couple of cheap bottles of pepper at the supermarket and bought those suckers up. I like that better than the grinder because when I'm cooking, I don't have time to break rhythm and start grinding away endlessly. I hate using a grinder! It's a real drag.
> >
> >I wish they'd put grinders on tables at restaurants instead of shakers. Freshly ground stuff makes a lot of sense at the table because that pungent smell really gets your appetite going. Using it while cooking is a waste of volatile oils. I have a big container of peppercorns that I use for adobo - I use it whole and it's just great!

>
> Why don't you get yourself one of those Kitchenaid coffee grinders and
> grind up a small jar full? Grind as much as you will use in a week or
> a month. It is still better than pre-ground from the store.
> http://tinyurl.com/z68kt8s
>
> you can tell that I disagree about using fresh ground in cooking
>
> Janet US

I like that idea. I'll be on the lookout for a cheap blade-type coffee grinder. Thanks!