Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On 2016-02-23 11:37 AM, wrote:
> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe
> 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my
> local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge
> MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell
> spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)

Hold on a sec? 1.5 oz for $1 and $1.40 per pound? Or are you saying
you would be paying about $1.40 for 1.5 oz if it was being bought in
bulk? $1.40 per pound would be very cheap.

> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time,
> is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?

I always have ground pepper on hand for cooking, but always have the
grinder on the table and often use it when cooking. Some things seem to
be better with fresh ground. I suppose all would be, but I often opt for
convenience.