Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:37:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

> I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>
> So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?

I buy both. How finely ground is the pepper? I don't like the finely
ground type. I've seen it called dust, and that's exactly what it is.
For me, using one or the other is based on pure convenience. I buy
coarsely ground pepper to cook with and peppercorns for the table.
The biggest question you need to answer for yourself is how fresh the
pepper is at both stores and make your decisions based on that. Only
you can decide.

--

sf