Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet B Janet B is offline

Default Ground pepper vs. peppercorns?

On Tue, 23 Feb 2016 08:37:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I recently found 1.5 ounces of ground pepper for $1, which is maybe 40% less than what I would pay, per pound, for peppercorns at my local Indian store. (Incredibly, my local health food stores charge MORE for peppercorns than the Indian store, even though they sell spices from bulk bins, unlike in the Indian store!)
>
>So, given that it IS convenient to buy only a small amount at a time, is there any good reason not to buy ground pepper?
>

>Lenona.

If you don't taste or smell the difference, get the cheapest. We all
have different taste buds. On the other hand, whole peppercorns
pungency will last for a year or more. The ground pepper will be dull
when you buy it and will fade fairly quickly. I really love freshly
ground pepper smell and taste.
Janet US