Tom S

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT, Leo Bueno
> > wrote:
>

> >http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/histo...ry_of_wine.asp
> >Since these early times the humble vine can be found growing in most
> >countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
> >vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
> >regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
> >be premium.
> >
> >Which are the 12 "premium" varieties?
> >
> >I suspect the list includes:
> > 1. Chardonnay
> > 2. Riesling
> > 3. Sauvignon Blanc
> > 4. Pinot Gris/Grigio
> > 5. Cabernet Sauvignon
> > 6. Merlot
> > 7. Syrah/Shiraz
> > 8. Sangiovese

> 9. Muscat Blanc
> 10. Pinot Noir
> 11. Gewurztraminer
> 12. Chenin Blanc
>
> These would be my choice of 12. Followed immediately by category 2
> international varieties :
>
> Pinot Blanc
> Cabernet Franc
> Gamay
> Semillon
> Grenache
> Viognier
> Silvaner
> Tempranillo

FWIW, I'd demote Chenin Blanc and Muscat Blanc to 2nd tier and elevate Pinot
Blanc and Cabernet Franc to 1st tier. And what about crosses, such as
Cabernet Sauvignon, Gewürtztraminer and (horror of horrors!) Chardonnay? Do
these, strictly speaking, belong in the first tier, or is this merely a
popularity contest?

Tom S