williamwaller

>> I could suppose that dough can develop itself during a long sit in the =
>> fridge, as
>> reported by some others, but I would not want to bet on it.
>>
>> --
>> DickA

> I've never known gluten development to arise spontaneously, it requires
> mechanical work input. Unless, of course, you've trained your Fridge Fairies
> while away their time by kneading dough.
>
> John

Well... AP or bread flours actually do very well at developing gluten with
sufficient time (at least mine do). I flogged dough for years before coming
to this realization. My first KitchenAid, the unfortunate facilitator of my
early enthusiasm, was retired with worn transfer gears from developing
gluten. KitchenAid #2 will survive longer. A little mixing and 2 or 3
minutes of kneading is wonderfully sufficient... even for 100% whole grain
loaves.

It's a more relaxed way of bread making, and perhaps not so comforting,
given many of us have invested several hundred $$$ in dough hook action, but
it is TRUE.

Will