Brian Mailman

torlesse wrote:

> Thanks Brian, I tried to start a mesclun lettuce pickle last night -
> it only had a few light green lettuce leaves in it, it was mostly dark
> spinachy leaves. It bruised badly though, I just hope it works.....I
> added ginger & peppers to it as well - are you supposed to use a
> similiar method to making kimchee?
> Take care,
> Torlesse

For spinachy-type things I wouldn't cut them up or manhandle them in
anyway. Just "kill" (the Korean word) by salting overnight first.

Basically, kim chee/chi is made by salting the veggies overnight and
then rinsing them off. Next add the spices and water and more salt.
ANd yes, ginger, peppers (a different one than cayenne, it's more like a
hot paprika) green onions, and lotsa garlic are in order.

B/